If you’re selling your house in New York, you need to list it on the MLS. The MLS is the most powerful tool to sell and buy homes in New York.
Only real estate agents have access to the MLS. But as a home seller, you don’t have to pay thousands in listing commission to an agent to list and sell your home. There are 4 options how you can list on MLS:
- List Yourself via a FSBO Website (Most Recommended): Some of the best FSBO sites will let you list and sell your home yourself. And in doing so, you’ll save thousands in commission!
- List on a Flat Fee MLS Service: A Flat Fee MLS service will get you on the MLS for a flat fee, with no listing commission.
- List with a Discount Broker: Discount Brokers charge anywhere from 0.5% to 2% in commission. Here’s our ranking of America’s best discount real estate brokers.
- List with a Traditional Agent (Least Recommended): A traditional real estate agent will charge you a full 2.5% to 3% commission. Plus they can be old school, with manual and inefficient processes.
MLS is Key for Sellers 💯
- Most homes in New York sell via the MLS. The MLS gives you unparalleled exposure to both buyer agents and buyers.
- Homes on MLS sold for 17% more than non-MLS listed homes, according to a Bright MLS study. MLS homes also sold faster.
- MLS listings get syndicated to Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Redfin, and hundreds of other websites giving your property critical exposure.
- There are 600+ MLS’ in the U.S. It is critical you list on your local MLS. This ensures your listing is viewable to your local buyer agents.
What is the MLS in Real Estate?
Multiple Listing Service (MLS) is a database that enables real estate agents and brokers to list and view homes for sale. An MLS listing includes all the information about your property, such as its price, description, and photos.
The homes listed on MLS are syndicated to various online real estate websites. This amplifies the exposure your property gets.
Only licensed real estate agents have access to the MLS. Consequently, only real estate agents can create MLS listings.
» List with Houzeo in New York: List on MLS by owner with Houzeo.com without a real estate agent license.
Benefits of Listing a Home on MLS
Listed below are some of the benefits of listing on the MLS in New York:
- Get Maximum Exposure: When you list on MLS, your listing gets syndicated to hundreds of real estate websites such as Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, and Realtor.com. This boosts your property’s visibility to potential buyers.
- Market to Buyer Agents: According to NAR, 86% of home buyers purchased their homes through a buyer agent last year. Listing on MLS is the most effective way to market your property to potential buyers.
- Incentivize the Buyer Agent: As mentioned above, buyer agents are involved in most real estate transactions. The MLS allows you to incentivize buyer agents with a competitive commission.
- You Can Sell Faster: Homes listed on MLS are sold 17% faster than those that were not listed on MLS.
What is a Flat Fee MLS listing?
A flat fee MLS listing service will list your house on the New York MLS at a flat rate. Unlike hiring RE agents, you can skip paying a hefty sum as a commission with a flat fee MLS service.
There are two types of flat fee services:
- MLS Entry-Only Services: They only list your home on New York MLS for you. Some might also syndicate it to other websites like Zillow and Trulia.
- MLS Packages: They provide additional services, besides listing on the MLS, like photography, yard signs, and showings.
5 Best Flat Fee MLS Services to List on MLS Yourself in New York:
|Flat Fee MLS Service||Price||Additional Fees||100% Online||5-Star Reviews||Mobile App|
|2. Flat Fee Realty||Varies||0.25% at closing||❌||❌||❌|
|3. List With Freedom||$295||None||❌||❌||❌|
|4. Hauseit||1% Commission||None||❌||❌||❌|
|5. Net Realty Now||$299||None||❌||❌||❌|
Reviews: 5 Best Flat Fee MLS Companies in New York
Houzeo offers 4 comprehensive Flat Fee MLS listing plans.
- Bronze – $349+: In this basic plan, you get a 6-month listing term with 24 photos. You get unlimited listing changes and open houses.
- Silver – $199+: In the silver plan, you can list 24 photos for 6 months. You also get a yard sign and unlimited listing changes.
- Gold – $299+: Gold is Houzeo’s signature MLS package with tech features like Houzeo Showings, Houzeo Offers, and DigiTransact.
- Platinum – $179+: This is the ultimate flat fee plan with a 1-year listing term and virtual full-service from a licensed broker.
👉 Houzeo Reviews? Find out why Houzeo is America’s #1 MLS listing service!
Houzeo has the best tech available for a Flat Fee MLS platform. Check out Houzeo Reviews.
- Maximum Savings: With Houzeo you save at least 3% on listing agent commission. All fees are disclosed upfront, so there are no Houzeo hidden fees.
- Advanced Tech: Houzeo’s tech is stellar. You get an intuitive seller’s dashboard, free mobile app, and 100% online paperwork.
- Maximum Exposure: Your home is listed on 100+ real estate websites like Zillow and Trulia. This ensures maximum eyeballs on your property.
- Nationwide Coverage: Houzeo covers 47 states and DC.
👉 Houzeo Customer Reviews: Houzeo is rated “Excellent” with a 4.9 out of 5-star rating by 5,000+ home sellers on Google reviews and Trustpilot.
In our research, we found no major red flags with Houzeo. Customers have consistently given positive reviews about their experience.
👉 Houzeo Complaints: Find out what sellers said about Houzeo!
2. Flat Fee Realty
Flat Fee Realty provides a single MLS package with varying costs as per the state.
- Common Features: A listing term of 6 months with 6 photos is service included in the flat fee package. Your properties get syndicated to Realtor.com, Trulia, and Zillow. Free listing enhancements and state disclosures come as well.
👉 Additional Costs: Any changes you wish to make to your listing photos must be purchased separately. For $50, you can add up to 25 photos.
Flat Fee Realty is a great flat fee MLS substitute where it provides direct services.
- Changes Made Simple: You can freely adjust your status and price with Flat Fee Realty. They enable correcting any minor problems found after the listing becomes live.
- Market Exposure: Real estate listings appear on Zillow, Trulia, and Realtor.com. You can advertise your home on all the major websites you choose to reach the ideal purchasers.
- Free Disclosures: Similar to taxes, documentation is a crucial selling point. For all states, Flat Fee Realty provides free disclosures.
In our analysis, Flat Fee Realty has some significant red flags.
- Non-customizable Packages: The listing bundle offered by Flat Fee Realty does not allow any modification. The package’s one-size-fits-all design restricts the possibilities you can choose from.
- 0.25% Commission at Closing: At closing, Flat Fee Realty takes a commission of 0.25%. They claim the buyer agent is responsible for paying this, but the seller pays the entire commission.
Flat Fee Realty is an excellent choice if having a budget-friendly strategy is important to you. They do, however, charge more for optional enhancements like extra photographs.
3. List With Freedom
ListWithFreedom gives you a choice of 3 Flat Fee plans.
- Gold Package – $149: This basic plan offers a 6-month listing term with 6 photos. For an extra price, you may add an online showing service, an open house, and a virtual tour
- Platinum Package – $195: This is simply the basic plan rebranded with 25 photos instead of 6 on the MLS.
- Platinum Plus – $295: In this plan, you get all the upgrades from the basic plan plus the basic listing service.
👑 The Queen’s Take: List With Freedom’s packages are affordable. However, additional services like showings and open houses come with extra charges. Often, these services cost much less.
👉 Pros and Cons of List With Freedom: Check out the pros and cons of List With Freedom.
Listwithfreedom is one of the oldest Flat Fee platforms in the USA!
- Quick Listing: Listwithfreedom makes sense for experienced home sellers on a tight budget. The listing is completely done online. Your listing will be live within 24-48 hours!
- Unlimited Listing Changes: Unlimited changes allow you to create the best possible listing to attract potential buyers.
Listwithfreedom has certain drawbacks that can derail a smooth sale.
- Hidden Fees: The word ‘deceptive’ has come up a few times in Listwithfreedom customer reviews. The pricing page does not mention the 0.1% – 0.25% commission cost upfront.
- Not for First-time Sellers: Listwithfreedom does not offer much assistance when actually required. New home sellers can find it difficult without the guidance of experienced real estate professionals.
Hauseit offers 3 Flat Fee MLS packages with different prices in all the states.
- Base Package: This option includes a zero-dollar 12-month listing with the maximum number of photos on the MLS.
- Core Package: The package includes a bespoke 2D floor plan, a 3D virtual tour, and all the services from the Basic package plus ten professional images.
- Professional Package: The professional package includes price guidance, 30 minutes of expert phone support for listing, and 15 photos with 1 virtual staging image.
Hauseit is one of the top Flat Fee MLS providers in the states where it offers its services.
- Unlimited Changes: Hausit offers a 12-month listing period with free changes and cancellations.
- Buyer Lead Forwarding: You receive buyer leads and inquiries giving you complete control over the sale.
- Home Valuation: A 30-minute telephone consultation is provided for evaluating your home’s value, including a comparative market analysis.
During our research, we discovered a few red flags with Hauseit.
- Limited Services: Although Hauseit offers free listing in their Basic plan, neither their Base nor Core packages include phone or email assistance.
- Additional Fees: In addition to the cost of a 3D virtual tour, additional services such as expert real estate photography, virtual staging, and phone support add to the final cost.
The prices for Hauseit’s packages vary. Choose the $1,499 Professional Package if money is not a concern. The package offers CMA cost analysis and phone help.
5. Net Realty Now
Net Realty Now provides 2 Flat Fee MLS packages and a Full Service listing package in the states they serve.
- Flat Fee MLS Package – $299: Includes a 6-month listing term with 36 photos, virtual tours, and unlimited changes.
- Full-Service Flat Fee MLS Package – $1,299: Includes listing on 83 national and local websites. There are no hidden fees at closing, and all charges are upfront.
- Full-Service Seller Representation – 1% – 2%: Commissions range from 3% to 4.5%. You will appear on over 85 real estate websites and social media sites.
NetRealtyNow.com offers Flat Fee MLS services in four states directly.
- Good Customer Reviews: Tom and the Net Realty Now team always go the extra mile to maintain integrity with their clients.
- Unlimited Changes: Free changes are allowed to your listing.
- Buyer Lead Forwarding: Leads are sent directly to homeowners to limit broker participation.
- Online Paperwork: From listing to closing, all paperwork occurs electronically.
- Comparable Sales Report: You can also get a CMA report to help you price your property competitively.
👉 Thomas Hennerty: For more information, visit the Houzeo vendor page!
The only drawback we identified with Net Realty Now is its limited coverage. Only four states prominently use it. Thomas has earned the trust of both his clientele and the broker industry.
We recommend the Flat Fee MLS Package priced at $299. The package includes all the services a homeowner looks for!
💡 Cheapest Ways to List on MLS: Paying 3% of the purchase price as real estate commission can become an unwelcomed expense if you are an experienced seller. We recommend opting for a Flat Fee MLS Package for listing For Sale By Owner on MLS.
How to List Your House on MLS in New York?
You can list your house on the New York MLS using several methods, using a full service realtor or a Flat Fee MLS service. However, the steps to listing on the MLS are the same.
Here we can look through the basic steps of “how to list on the MLS”.
- Do Your Research: There are several ways to access the MLS, hiring a real estate agent is just one of them. You should know all your options before proceeding.
- Find What Suits You Best: Most companies offer a range of Flat Fee MLS listing packages, differing in features according to the seller’s experience, the listing term, and MLS coverage.
- Get Professional Photographs: 87% of buyers rely on photographs to make a decision. Accordingly, getting professionally clicked photos of your house can help you sell your house faster.
- Create a Listing: While creating a listing for your local MLS, go with a catchy headline, comprehensive description, and attractive photographs.
- Get listed on MLS: After finalizing these all prospects, forward the same to the listing agent and get your property listed on the MLS.
How Much Does it Cost to List on MLS in New York?
The cost of listing on the New York MLS depends on the method you use. You can pick a full service agent or a flat fee MLS service.
A full service agent will require you to pay a seller agent commission of 2-3%. A flat fee MLS service will get you listed at a flat rate.
However, beware of hidden charges and fees at closing. Some sites may not be upfront about these costs.
Alternatives to Listing on MLS By Owner in New York
There are alternative ways to List on the MLS By Owner, and they are as follows.
- Going Completely FSBO: ‘For Sale By Owner’ refers to selling real estate without the assistance of a real estate agent or broker. Many For Sale By Owner MLS listing services like Houzeo, Zillow, Craigslist, and ForSaleByOwner.com offer free listings on their respective websites.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers: A discount real estate broker offers all the services that a traditional real estate agent does for a fraction of the cost. They typically sell your house for a 1% commission compared to the 2.5% to 3% charged by a traditional real estate agent charges.
» Creative Ways to Market an FSBO House: Find out 18 Creative Ways to Market a House For Sale By Owner Homes.
How to List on MLS via Houzeo.com in New York?
List your home on MLS via Houzeo.com in 4 simple steps!
- Start Your FREE Listing: On your browser, go to Houzeo.com and click on “Start Free Listing” at the top right corner.
- Add Information About the Property & Photos: Register, and on your Houzeo dashboard click “Sell a Property“. Provide your property information, select a buyer agent commission, and upload photos.
- Choose a Listing Plan: Houzeo offers 4 MLS listing packages. We recommend the GOLD package as it will give you access to all of Houzeo’s technologically advanced features, like listing management, scheduling showings, and offer and lead management.
- Complete the Listing Documents: Listing docs will be automatically assigned to you based on your listing agent, property type, and local MLS. Completing the listing paperwork will take about 20 to 30 minutes.
If everything is in order, your listing will be live on your local MLS within 24-48 hours!
Listing in the MLS in New York is a great way to boost the sale of your property. However, it can be expensive as access to MLS is restricted to real estate agents.
Even if you are new to selling, listing on MLS for sale by owner with a Flat Fee MLS broker like Houzeo can gain you profit.
» Houzeo Reviews: Check out what FSBO sellers have to say about listing with Houzeo.com
Frequently Asked Questions about Listing on MLS
1. Is Flat Fee MLS legal in New York?
Flat Fee MLS is legal all over the United States. In fact, the US Department of Justice just updated their bulletin highlighting the benefits of Flat Fee MLS for For Sale By Owner home sellers.
2. Are Flat Fee Realtors good in New York?
Some home sellers assume that since flat-fee realtors are working for lower fees they might not provide you with good services but there are thousands of home sellers who’ve already tried these flat-fee realtors and they have saved thousands of dollar with the best services!
3. Can I request to add open houses easily?
Our IntelliList Listing Management system makes requesting open houses to be added a breeze!
4. How much money can I actually save?
You can save up to 100% of the real estate commissions! With the Flat Fee MLS listing on Houzeo, you save the 3% listing agent commission. You’re obligated to pay the buyer’s agent the commission you offered if they’re represented by an agent, but if you procure a buyer with no agent involved, you can save even that!
» Houzeo Hidden Fees: Read further to know how much more you can save!
5. How to sell your house in 2023?
If you want to sell your home in 2023, you must follow these tips:
1. List on MLS.
2. Offer a competitive buyer's agent commission.
3. Set a competitive pricing for your house.
4. Use professional photography.
» List on America’s #1 FSBO Site and save thousands of commission.
6. Do I need to sign a contract to list my home in New York?
Yes, but these contracts for Flat Fee MLS listings are generally “entry-only”. That means they’re limited to the agent entering your listing into the MLS. And they can be canceled/terminated anytime with no penalty!
7. Can you list rentals on the MLS in New York?
Yes, you can list rentals on the MLS. Listing rentals on the MLS can boost your visibility and give you a competitive edge. Accordingly, you can close the rental transaction faster.
Related: flat fee MLS in New York, Selling a home without a New York realtor, how to list on New York mls, MLS free listing, MLS how to list, how to create an MLS listing, put home on MLS, how to list a property on MLS in NY, how to add listing to MLS, how to post on MLS, can anyone list on New York MLS, list house on MLS, sell home MLS, list house on NY MLS, how to get your home on MLS, listing home on MLS, how to get your home in the MLS, What is MLS?,selling a house without a Realtor, fsbo NY MLS listing, how to get a New York mls listing without a realtor.