The California housing market is cooling off. Mortgage rates have shot up. They are expected to remain elevated through 2024.
If you’re a home seller, you’re nervous to sell now with dropping prices. You also don’t want to sell your low-interest mortgage home and buy another home at the current interest rates.
Should you sell now before home prices plummet? Or wait for rates to fall? Unless you want to learn how to sell a house by owner in California, you’re looking for a REALTOR to help.
If you’re a home buyer, you don’t know whether you can even afford a home. Prices are still high. And interest rates have added hundreds of dollars to your mortgage payments. Is now the best time to buy a house in California? Or wait?
A great REALTOR can help you navigate these choppy waters and make the right decision. And once you decide, they can be the pro you rely on to help you buy or sell.
Some REALTORS will save you thousands with technology. Others will help you sell your luxury property for top dollar, and still others can show you how to stop foreclosure in California.
We’ve ranked the Best REALTORS in the US. Use these rankings as a starting point to find the best REALTOR that fits your needs!
With our rankings of the 7 best REALTORS in California, you can find the right one for a smooth and hassle-free real estate transaction.
🏅 Rankings: Top 10 REALTORS in California
Reviews: Top 7 Real Estate Agents in California
1. Brandon Yager
Brandon Yager is a Flat Fee Realtor licensed in California. He offers virtual full-service packages via Houzeo.
- Bronze Plan – $299: Includes 15 photos, a 6-month listing term, and only email support.
- Silver Plan – $399: This is Yager Realty’s best flat fee MLS California plan. You get contracts, forms, disclosure documents, and property flyers in addition to the services of the Bronze Plan.
- Gold Plan – $999 + $150: Includes ‘Hire a Coach’ service. The listing term is 1 year with 35 photos. You get phone and priority email assistance, sales contract review plus all the services of the Silver Plan. This package charges a $150 admin closing fee to remove your property from the MLS.
- Platinum Package – $699+0.75% at closing: A full-service plan where you get the assistance of a real estate broker. You get a “For Sale Sign”, full contract support, DocuSign and seller paperwork, all handled by the broker.
👉 Our Take: We recommend Yager Realty’s Silver Plan. However, this package would be ideal for experienced sellers who do not need much hand-holding. For first-time sellers, we recommend the Gold Plan for additional guidance to get you through the transaction.
» Brandon Yager, Yager Realty of California: Check out the services offered by Brandon via Houzeo.com
- Experienced Broker: Brandon Yager and his team are knowledgeable and willing to go above and beyond to complete the task. They assist sellers in structuring the transaction and providing the necessary feedback for countering multiple offers.
- Top Rated Customer Service: The team at Yager Realty is known for its responsiveness. Their customer service is one of a kind – proving timely support and guidance to their clients.
- Transaction Sides: He has sold 175 properties in the last 12 months.
- Houzeo Agent Advantage: Access to a 100% online platform that facilitates easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and offers.
We discovered no red flags with Brandon Yager during our research. Brandon Yager has an excellent reputation among brokers.
Brandon Yager is a top-rated Realtor in California and the founder of Yager Realty. He has over 19 years of experience in the real estate market and is currently affiliated with Houzeo.
Yager’s team is well known for its responsiveness and for helping sellers close deals faster. Give them a call and you won’t be disappointed!
2. Jason Oppenheim
Jason Oppenheim is a Realtor in California specializing in luxury properties. His firm The Oppenheim Group has been providing real estate services in California for the past 13 years.
He has closed over $3 Billion in sales and is a great choice for buying and selling top luxury properties.
3. Bill Johnson
For Home Sellers
- Flat Fee Listing: Sellers can list on MLS for a flat fee and save thousands of dollars in commissions.
- Full Automation: Powered by Houzeo.com, Bill Johnson can help you manage your listing 100% online.
Bill Johnson is the founder and owner of Realty Solutions, a real estate company operating out of California. He has an experience of 22 years in the real estate market.
Bill is a resident partner with Houzeo and is known for providing excellent customer service.
4. Mauricio Umansky
Mauricio Umansky is a REALTOR and founder of The Agency. He specializes in property management and selling luxury properties.
With Mauricio Umansky you can expect the full commission of 5% – 6%.
👉 Our Take: We recommend Mauricio Umansky for luxury properties. He has closed more than $4 billion in sales and provides top-notch real estate services.
Mauricio is an excellent option for luxury home sellers in California.
- Global Exposure: Mauricio and his team operate globally to provide maximum exposure to your property.
- Free Moving Consultation: Mauricio provides free moving consultation services through a committed team of professionals.
- Access to Listings: You get access to The Agency’s entire database after you sign up on its website. You can also request a tour of the listed properties by booking an appointment.
- Transaction sides: Maurcio has closed more than $4 billion in sales.
Mauricio is recognized as the #1 Top-producing real estate agent in California by Wall Street Journal and the #5 Top-producing real estate agent in the U.S.
In our research, we found no red flags with Realtor Mauricio Umansky.
Mauricio Umansky has an “Excellent” 5 out of 5-star rating on Zillow.
Mauricio Umansky is The founder of the Agency, a high-profile luxury real estate brokerage.
The Agency consists of highly professional individuals committed to giving clients a top-notch experience. His team works at a global level giving the buyers and sellers maximum exposure.
5. Jade Mills
Jade Mills is a licensed Realtor in California working in affiliation with Coldwell Banker. She is a luxury real estate expert and is known as the $8 Billion-Dollar woman.
She has a stellar reputation in the Realtor community in Los Angeles. Listing with Jade will expose your property to a global audience of buyers.
6. Coco Tan
Coco Tan is a REALTOR in California and is the founder of the Coco Tan Group. She has an experience of 20 years in the real estate market and specializes in short sales and the sales of bank owned/real estate-owned properties.
She is known for being extremely knowledgeable and for her negotiation skills. Her clients praise her professionalism and local expertise.
7. Jared Andrew English
Jared Andrew English is a Flat Fee Realtor licensed in 12 states. Jared offers 3 Flat Fee MLS packages and 1 full-service package.
- Basic Package – $299: It includes a listing term of 6 months with 4 photos and access to all state forms and disclosures. It also provides the showing appointment tool, and up to 5 free listing changes.
- Plus Package – $399: The services offered are similar to the basic package. You can make up to 10 free listing changes. Additionally, buyer leads are forwarded to you.
- Premium Package – $499: You get all the services from the Plus package with unlimited open house postings. You can make unlimited listing changes. Your listing also gets featured on social media.
- Full-Service Package – $399+0.5% Commission: This package comes with the assistance of an agent to help you with negotiations, contract review, and closing. You will 0.5% at closing.
Listing Upgrades: In the cheaper plans, you have to purchase upgrades separately. We’ve summarized all upgrades below.
- Call Forwarding: $50
- Max Photos (if more than 25): $50
- Open House Advertisement: $50
- Listing Renewal: $175
👉 Our Take: We recommend Jared for being highly knowledgeable with stellar customer reviews. His Premium package allows unlimited changes, so it’s worth it mentally and likely financially.
» Jared English, Congress Realty: Check out the services offered by Jared English via Houzeo.com
Congress Realty is an excellent Flat Fee MLS option for sellers looking to sell their homes fast.
- Very Experienced & Highly Rated Broker: There are very few brokers as capable as Jared Andrew English. If you are buying or selling, Andrew provides excellent representation and works hard for your interests.
- Excellent Customer Service: Very few brokers are as fast and reachable as Andrew and his team at Congress Realty.
- Transaction Sides: He has sold 605 properties in the last 12 months.
- Houzeo Agent Advantage: Access to a 100% online platform that facilitates easy listing, fast changes, online showings, and offers.
In our research, we found no red flags with Congress Realty. Jared Andrew English has a stellar reputation within the Realtor community.
Congress Realty however has a significant number of upgrades. They can add up quickly, so if you’re opting for a cheaper plan we recommend you budget for these.
Congress Realty has an “Excellent” 4.9 out of 5-star rating from 127 total reviews on Houzeo.com.
Jared Andrew English is an experienced Flat Fee MLS broker and has represented thousands of home sellers. His firm Congress Realty covers all major MLS’ in California.
Congress Realty charges separately for their upgrades and the amount can add up significantly. It is recommended to look into the additional upgrades before selecting any plans.
What are Real Estate Agents?
Realtor Agents are real estate professionals adhering to the code of ethics laid down by the National Association of REALTORS (NAR), America’s largest real estate association.
» NAR Code of Ethics: A REALTOR’S pledge to business integrity and fair dealing.
What is the Average Real Estate Agents Commission in California?
The average Realtor commission is typically between 5% – 6%. However, this fee is negotiable and varies state-wide.
With increasing competition and better alternatives, Realtor agents are willing to lower their commissions and provide concessions to the home seller.
» How to Negotiate Real Estate Commissions: Pro tips on how to negotiate agent commissions and save thousands!
Who Pays Real Estate Agent’s Fees in California?
The seller typically pays the REALTOR fees. Although the seller is responsible for paying these fees, they can always negotiate with the buyer on this.
In simple terms, it can be said that REALTOR fees are a part of the sale price of a home.
Do Closing Costs Include California Real Estate Agent’s Fees?
Yes! Realtor fees are a major part of closing costs. Closing costs, also known as “settlement costs,” are the final expenses to complete the real estate transaction.
1. Home Selling
A sizeable chunk of the seller’s closing costs, comprising 5%–6% of the sales price, is made up of REALTOR commissions. It is important to note that the seller pays a commission to both the listing agent and the buyer’s agent.
The commissions can vary according to the type of service you want to opt for selling your home.
- Flat Fee MLS: Sell your home with an average fee of $399 and save thousands in commissions. Get the best possible exposure for your home by listing it on the MLS.
- Discount Real Estate Brokers: The average fee these brokers charge is $5,000 or 1.5% of the sale price. They provide services at reduced rates thereby making them a top choice for sellers.
⚡Seller Closing Costs in California: Find out what closing costs you pay as a seller in California.
2. Home Buying
Buyer closing costs do not usually include the REALTOR fees. However, this fee is already included in the price the buyer pays for their home.
⚡Buyer Closing Costs in California: Check our in-depth on how much the buyer has to pay as closing costs.
REALTOR vs. Agent vs. Broker
- Real Estate Agents: They are licensed professionals who represent buyers or sellers in real estate transactions. They must work independently or with a broker or a brokerage.
- Real Estate Broker: Brokers are agents with experience and a license, allowed after completing additional coursework. They can either start their own brokerage or work independently as agents.
- REALTOR®: REALTORs are agents or brokers that are members of NAR and follow NAR’s code of ethics. Their modes of operation and responsibilities include that of agents and/or brokers.
How to Find Real Estate Agents in California?
Home sellers and buyers can find a top real estate agent in California with proper research. If you wish to sell or buy a single-family home or a condo, it is essential to find a REALTOR who specializes in that type of sale.
Here’s how you can find a Realtor for your home selling/buying needs:
- Find Licensed Realtors: Look for agents who are members of the NAR. Select Realtors with lower commission rates and check whether they provide virtual or full services.
- Interview Realtors: Interview short-listed Realtors and convey your requirements. Find out their specialization, and whether they offer cutting-edge technology and online services.
- Review and Finalize: Check reviews on trusted websites like Google, Yelp, Trustpilot, etc. Finalize the one that best understands your real estate goals.
Can You List Your Home on the MLS Without a REALTOR?
No. Only licensed real estate agents have access to the MLS. There is no way to list on the MLS without an agent.
You can just opt for a Flat Fee MLS listing service. With a Flat-Fee MLS listing, you pay a small fee instead of a full listing agent commission. A Flat Fee MLS listing is the fastest way to get listed on the MLS and hit the market.
Moreover, with a high-tech service like Houzeo real estate, you can list your home faster than a traditional full-service Realtor. And save thousands!
» How to Get Access to MLS: Here’s how to list on MLS without a REALTOR!
Alternatives to Realtors in California
Realtors are the best option for first-time home sellers. But if saving money is your goal, there are several other options.
- Hire a Discount Real Estate Broker: Discount real estate brokers in California offer all the services of a traditional broker for a discounted commission. Typically, discount brokers will charge anywhere between 0.5% to 2% commission to list and sell your home.
- Flat Fee MLS Listing Service: With California Flat-Fee MLS companies, you can not only save thousands of dollars in commissions but also take advantage of their technology for selling your house without a Realtor.
- Sell to an iBuyer: Many iBuyers, like Opendoor and Offerpad, purchase hundreds of homes nationwide. iBuyers can be a great option if you’re wondering how to sell your house fast in California.
- Sell to Cash Home Buyers: Individual cash home buyers and companies that buy houses for cash in California make all-cash offers, usually within 24 to 48 hours. Cash buyers let you skip the hassle of listing on the MLS, inspection, appraisal, etc.
- Sell For Sale By Owner: For Sale By Owner websites will help you list and sell a house by owner and save thousands in listing agent commission. Many FSBO websites will help you list on the MLS and help you with FSBO paperwork.
List with Houzeo
List with Houzeo for a quick and affordable listing for FSBO sellers. Fast listing. No hidden fees.
- Houzeo Complaints: Read Before You List
- Is Houzeo Legit: Find Out Now
- Houzeo Reviews: Here’s Why This Real Estate Platform is a Game Changer
- Houzeo Hidden Fees: The Truth Behind the $349 Listing Fee
Having a good REALTOR® when selling or buying a house can make the process a cakewalk. Their guidance can help you get the best price for your property or find your dream home.
However, with the average REALTOR commission being 6% across the nation, split 50-50 between the listing agent and the buyer agent, your profits on the sale are substantially reduced. Additionally, seller closing costs will eat away at your profits.
Although there is no escaping the closing costs, opting for Flat Fee Realtor, empowered by Houzeo, can help you save 3% listing agent commission.
Frequently Asked Questions
Related Keywords: realtors in california, top realtors in california, best realtors in california, what does a realtor do, what does a realitor do, what do realtors do, what does a realtor do for you, what does a realtor do at closing, what does a realtor broker do, what do realtors do, what does a realator do, america real estate brokers, top real estate brokers, getting preapproved for a mortgage, discount real estate brokers California, california brokers, real estate brokers in California, California real estate brokers license, california brokerages license, brokerages in california, california brokerages, online brokerages in california, california city realtors, best california realtors, realtor commission california, realtor california, real estate agents in california, real estate agents in ca, rick llanos, housezo, houszeo, houzzeo,